Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Altec Lancing speaker build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member bryans's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2013
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Altec Lancing speaker build

    Hello, I was told about this site from some good guys at audio karma. I hope there is someone who can help me with a few questions I have. I recently got a hold of some speakers that are in good shape. They are 806 A drivers with H 811 B horns and 416 A woffers. I also have N-800-G dividing networks. I have built some cabinets for themand they sound really good, but I thihk I can do better. The lower register is lacking. I tried disconnecting the crossover and this seemed to help quite a bit. Is this a bad idea? Is there another crossover I should use. I also have the horn and woffer in the same cabinet I'm notsure if that is proper either and finnally should the cabinet be ported and insulated? I'm sure I'll get an earfull for the way I've gone about things but I just couldn't wait to hear them. That was before I learned how popular these speakers where, thanks for any help you can give me. Bryans

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec Lancing speaker build


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Lancing speaker build

    any one have any suggestions here?
    i for one would like to see a picture or two.
    Sonic Barbarian

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Lancing speaker build

    Details of the cabinets would be a good place to start. How big, dimensions, port size etc.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Lancing speaker build

    You'll want to keep a crossover on the horn to keep from destroying the Diaphragm. Low frequency won't get damaged. Horn and woofer in the same cabinet won't hurt anything since the horn is a sealed unit. Just don''t take the back cap off the horn and try to run them as the bass would not be too friendly to the phragm...providing there is no loading caps in the drivers..

  5. #5
    Junior Hostboard Member bryans's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2013
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Lancing speaker build

    Thanks for your response. The cabinets are two feet wide, three feet tall, and 17.5 inches deep. They are constructed out of 5/8 particle board.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec Lancing speaker build


    Alien_Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    750
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Lancing speaker build

    The 416A is rated 20Hz to 1.6KHz.
    Vas is probably going to be around 25 CF...but I didn't calculate that.
    I think your box (~7.4CF) is going to be pretty close to what you need for the 416A, if you use a bass reflex alignment.
    Last edited by Alien_Shore; July 29th, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
    - Mike

  7. #7
    Junior Hostboard Member bryans's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2013
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Lancing speaker build

    Thanks for the info Mike, I've got to tell you it's over my head. I can tell you that I love good sound, always have. I'm blown away by these speakers and just want to do right by them. I don't know what a bass reflex alignment is. Does that have anything to do with a port in the front of the cabinet? Should I use something similiar to the port that is on the model 19 cabinets? Are there any drawbacks from not using the n-800-G dividing network on the woffers? Finally should I use about a 1 and a 1/2 inch insulation on the sides and back? Thanks again for your time. Bryan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28222319 times.